Monday 16 March 2009

SPIKE JONZE

It's not new, he's not new, but it's been reignited. It being my like for Spike that is. Not content with creating numerous brilliant music videos that I always enjoy telling people to watch (watch Sabotage). So I got his DVD out of the university library (it's from the Directors Label series that also do the Michel Gondry, Chris Cunningham and Anton Corbijn DVDs), and I went ahead with cutting straight to his Documentaries, the music videos could wait.

I watched through them and the stand out for me was a 30 minute documentary of the making of a video for Fat Lip, of 90s hip hop collective Pharcyde.

What's Up Fat Lip? deals with Fat Lip, Derrick Stewart, and the concept is a series of simple interviews throughout the creative process of the music video. It's witty, clever, tragic and beautiful which seem to be the four things that sit on my current 'to view' check list.

It's the access and the way it slowly reveals so much about this man. Fat Lip is a poet, he's vulnerable, he's on the verge of looking for a job and he isn't some angry coke dealing murderer, he's just an honest guy who wants to make things.

It's worth tracking down the DVD for his Transvestite story.

It's also worth tracking down for his Clown dance at two bemused Security guards.



In other news... Where the Wild things are is shaping up to be worthwhile as well, I'm judging it all on the film poster, which is a good effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment